Wednesday, January 2, 2013

"Here, looking up at a mountain I've never seen before this morning, my sense of where I am holds nothing more than rock, than water, than birds and trees and bush. Here, apart from the insistence of others, I am able to catch a breath of the Other. There is no past in this place today, and no future. Just a tremendous present-filling eternity. It's enough to fill the soul." Gravity:The Allure of Distance

I like getting burrs in my hair.  I like digging the blades of my snowshoes in powder, then sliding down a hill on my ass.  I like watching a Schnauzer snowbunny in front of me, and Jeremy plowing his way through the trees, swinging from branch to branch to keep from tumbling down the side of a hill.  I like stopping to look down at the houses off Sumac, to feel taller than I did just a moment ago.  I like going uphill, knowing there will be a descent.  I like not thinking about tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment